Popularly used in Indian cuisine, turmeric root has been shown to have a broad number of health benefits. Acting as a strong antioxidant and well known for its powerful anti-inflammatory properties, turmeric supports a healthy digestive system, brain function, cardiovascular system and joint health.
Turmeric is one of nature’s most powerful healers. The active ingredient in turmeric is curcumin. Turmeric has been used for over 2500 years in India, where it was most likely first used as a dye.
The medicinal properties of this spice have been slowly revealing themselves over the centuries. Long known for its anti-inflammatory properties, recent research has revealed that turmeric is a natural wonder, proving beneficial for many different health conditions.
Some possible benefits of our raw organic Turmeric Root powder may include:
● Boosting the immune system
● Helping neutralize substances that can cause cellular stress
● Natural painkiller, cox-2, & 5-LOX inhibitor
● Supporting healthy bones, joints, & overall skeletal system
● Possibly inhibiting the growth of new blood vessels in tumors
● Helping maintain healthy cholesterol levels to support your cardiovascular system
● Helpful for Alzheimer
● Encouraging healthy liver function
● Strong anti-inflammatory properties
● Killing parasites
● Reduces the risk of childhood leukemia
● Boosting the effects of chemo drug paclitaxel & reduces its side effects
● Balancing the health of your digestive system
● Supporting your memory function
● Natural antiseptic & antibacterial agent, useful in disinfecting cuts & burns
● Supporting a healthy blood & your circulatory system
● Boosting your immune system
● Maintaining your cells’ integrity when threatened by occasional environmental stressors
● May aid in fat metabolism & help in weight management
● Promoting your heart health
● Supporting healthy joint function
● Studies are ongoing in the positive effects of turmeric on multiple myeloma
● Promotes a healthy female reproductive system
● May prevent melanoma & cause existing melanoma cells to commit suicide
● Supports your overall eye health
● Shows promise in slowing the progression of multiple sclerosis in mice
● Cleansing your skin & maintain its elasticity
● Providing the antioxidants you need to help support your cells against excessive oxidation & free radicals
● Promotes your radiant skin & Provide nourishment to your skin
● Helping to remove amyloyd plaque buildup in the brain
● Helping maintain blood sugar levels already within the normal range
● Assisting your neurological system’s healthy response to stress
● Has long been used in Chinese medicine as a treatment for depression
● Balancing the effects of skin flora
● May help in the treatment of psoriasis & other inflammatory skin conditions
● Helping you maintain healthy cells with support against free radicals
● Natural remedy for arthritis & rheumatoid arthritis
● Helping to improve your digestion
Among some of the most interesting health benefits and their recent scientific findings:
Alzheimer’s and Dementia Prevention: The 2003 study in Italy as published in the Italian Journal of Biochemistry showed that Turmeric protects against Alzheimer’s disease by ‘activating’ a gene that codes for the production of the antioxidant protein bilirubin, which protects the brain against injury from free radicals which are thought to be a responsible for neurodegenerative diseases including Alzheimer’s and Dementia. Another study conducted at UCLA and published in the December 2004 issue of the Journal of Biological Chemistry, which has been confirmed by further research published online April 20, 2006, in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, provides further insight as to how Turmeric provides multiple areas of protection against the mechanisms which cause Alzheimer’s. This research was so profoundly exciting to researchers that human clinical trials to further investigate Turmeric’s potential will soon be underway”.
A Potent Anti-Inflammatory: Turmeric’s anti-inflammatory effects have been shown to be comparable to the potent drugs hydrocortisone and phenylbutazone as well as over-the-counter anti-inflammatory agents such as Motrin. And unlike lab-produced pharmaceutical drugs, Turmeric has been shown to produce no toxicity, nor the kinds of stomach problems that commonly occur with pharmaceutical anti-inflammatory drugs.
Rheumatoid Arthritis: Many clinical studies have shown that the antioxidant properties of Turmeric help fight the free radicals responsible for the painful joint inflammation of arthritis. Turmeric’s combination of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects explains why many people with joint diseases find relief when they use the spice regularly, and in a recent study of patients with rheumatoid arthritis, Turmeric was compared to phenylbutazone and produced comparable improvements in shortened duration of morning stiffness, lengthened walking time, and reduced joint swelling.
Cystic Fibrosis: Curcumin, the major constituent of turmeric that gives the spice its yellow color, could help correct the genetic defect that is responsible for cystic fibrosis, as suggested by an animal study published in the April 2004 issue of Science. Cystic fibrosis, a fatal disease that attacks the lungs with a thick mucus, causing life-threatening infections, and afflicts about 30,000 American children and young adults, who rarely survive beyond 30 years of age.
Colon and other Cancers Prevention: Turmeric’s antioxidant effects help protect the colon cells from free radicals that can damage cellular DNA — a significant benefit particularly in the colon where cell turnover is quite rapid. By improving liver function, it also helps the body to destroy mutated cancer cells so that they cannot spread through the body and cause more harm. Even more interesting, when Turmeric was combined with the vegetable Cauliflower, the protection against colon cancers was even more pronounced, leading researchers to believe the combination of cruciferous vegetables and curcumin could be an “effective therapy not only to prevent prostate cancer, but to inhibit the spread of established prostate cancers”. Time to start eating cauliflower with turmeric!
Improved Liver Function: recent studies have shown that Turmeric increases the detoxification enzymes in the liver, so much so that one set of researchers commented, “Turmeric used widely as a spice would probably mitigate the effects of several dietary carcinogens”. In our polluted, often carcinogenic laden environment, diet and lifestyles these days, this is very beneficial.
From cardiovascular protection benefits (reduced heart attack and stroke risk) to serving as a great source of vitamin B6 to further overall anti-oxidization, detoxification and blood-brain benefits, the health benefits of Turmeric continue to be revealed and discovered by new scientific studies each year.